Amelia Earhart

Saturday, July 01, 2006

The World Cup


Who's not talking about the World Cup? It's hard not to, when everywhere you turn to in Singapore, the spirit of football/soccer is alive and kicking (even though we're not in the World Cup, it's the most popular/loved sport here). Last night, I was at a club, watching Germany vs Argentina (more about that later). And when I rushed home to catch Italy vs Ukraine, there was my dad (and my mum, too!) tuned into the sports channel (strangely, my brother seemed unaffected by all of it).

I recall watching matches with my dad as a kid and asking a lot of questions. Essentially, he was the one, who taught me the rules of the game. But my induction into the game is the 1994 World Cup (because before that, I wasn't allowed to stay up late to catch the matches (due to time difference with the Western side of the world). From that year onwards, I decided to lend my allegiance to Italy and developed a profound respect for Brazil (who trounced Italy in the penalty shoot-out in the finals).

I wouldn't call myself a hardcore fan. I've watched football on and off over the years, a bit of the Italian, Spanish and English league and European Cup. But the World Cup, which comes once in four years, I make an effort to catch.

Last night, at the club, a Caucasian guy (he sounded German) came up to me during the Germany-Argentina half-time and said, "I noticed you're interested in the game. Are you in it for the guys or the game?" I replied, "Both, of course" (He found out my partiality to Italy and suggested we watch it at HIS place later. I giggled, shook my head and skittered over to my friends).

Okay, many girls I know find football very silly, "22 grown men chasing after one ball on the field". Then, there's another group of girls, who watch it just for the men and just doesn't get what offside means. But I'm passionate enough to round up the little boys (from the kindergarten I was interning at last month) to play football (with me pretending to be a clumsy goalkeeper). I would have joined a women's football team, if there were one in my secondary/high school days (I became a netball school rep instead).

Okay, I'm not going to bore you with the technical aspect of the game. May I just say that these players have gorgeous bodies, all lean and muscled, which they swerve and show off to great effect on the pitch (I love the slow-mo replay and pictures captured of them!).

I must say I'm very pleased with Italy's triumph of 3-nil over Ukraine this morning, Singapore time. They showed excellent teamwork and took an attacker's stance. Everyone loves Francesco Totti, but I'm going to keep my eyes on Luca Toni (pictured, with his cute victory hand wave), in the absence of Alessandro Del Piero (and since Paolo Maldini is not playing in the World Cup). They are up against Germany next, so that's going to be very an exciting game. Can't wait!

6 Comments:

Blogger Quodlibet said...

Soccer players certainly are amazing athletes. I don't know a thing about the rules, but I do agree that the men are in the most amazing shape. I think soccer is gaining popularity in Canada, but I'd say hockey is still our sport!

3:38 am  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

I know, I know, some of you may not totally understand it. (And I've tried not to get too technical).

How about we all just appreciate the footballers' shape. That's universal, eh? Haha.

2:51 pm  
Blogger pingcat said...

Funny, funny thing about Europeon soccer/football uniforms - at least they look like normal wear. If you ever saw a North American "footballer" off the field dressed in his uniform,... well, he would look just plain weird! Canada has not participated in the World Cup since ... 1986

Soccer players are amazing atheletes!

12:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »

4:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... Thermoelectric freezers Cellulite+avon Scrabble francophone Prozac and muscle twitching Audi concert 2 connect leather jackets aviator Zocor reasons take jaques pepin and cooking school Supplements for women + farenheit los angeles boating sailing adrafinil modafinil Is morphine sulf 15 mg like oxycontin modafinil online no prescription Firstdata merchant services com Xanax drug addiction

1:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Scar revision plastic surgery Ice fishing resort ontario Laser result smoking stop Rodkek odchudzaj cy meridia

9:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home