Amelia Earhart

Saturday, May 13, 2006

A Girl's Things



Okay enough about politics and men for awhile. Let's talk about something fluffy and frilly.

I own 30-odd pairs of shoes (one for each day of the month!). My dearest are from Nine West (pictured) and Aldo for $200+ each. I would have loved to strut in Jimmy Choos or Manolo Blahniks, but I would have to bag three more promotions before I could take home at least one pair a month.

We have some cool local brands, which are inspired by designer labels and going for a fraction of the price. New stocks come in every month (tell me, how's a girl supposed to resist?).

Their quality is, of course, not on par with their well-heeled cousins. There had been more than one occasion when the straps or heels snapped or broke while I'm off to something important, re-routing me to the nearest shoe store to grab and go with another pair (perhaps this is one of their marketing strategies).

It may be unusual for an Asian girl with unusually large feet to be so much in love with shoes. So much so, I willingly squeeze the tremendous twins into pretty, pointy shoes. Today, my pedicurist lamented over the "sad" state of my feet (she actually used the very word more than once). Well, it was either that or letting my giant feet jut out there.

Many guys still don't get why girls need so many shoes. The reason couldn't be more obvious - women have and need a lot more choices. Fashion season changes. And we need different shoes to match different outfits.

Did you watch In Her Shoes? Boy, does Toni Collete's character have a rackful of gorgeous shoes. Her rationale is: shopping is no good, because nothing is right, eating makes you grow fatter, but shoes, they always fit. Obviously that doesn't apply to me, because my monstrous feet are best tucked into a pair of comfy sneakers and I don't even own one.

There's another character famous for her love of shoes - Carrie Bradshaw (played by Sarah Jessica Parker) of Sex And The City. She says on one episode: I spent $40,000 on shoes and I don't have a place to live? I'll literally be an old woman, who lived in her shoes.

Uhm, hope I don't turn like that.

PS: What do they say about women with large feet?

PSS: What's your expensive habit/guilty pleasure?

5 Comments:

Blogger pingcat said...

Expensive and habits are just not working for me, expensive hobbies? yep, gotta be flying and I might add it is not getting any cheaper. Books, I do so love books, having them, reading them, seeing them. Fine dining, fortunately I don't drink so I get a bit of a break there but I like a touch of elegance now and then and I am always in favour of tasty food that I Don't have to cook, so it doesn't have to be "fine" dining, dining out is "fine", too! Cars ... yeah, whole other story. Is that enough? Yep, I think it I can see where Carrie Bradshaw is coming from. As my old mother would say ... "Money talks, but all it says to me is ... good-bye!"

1:36 pm  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

I, too, am all about books. I buy way more than I ever have time to read. I have one bookshelf dedicated to all of the books that I have yet to read. In all honesty I do think that I like to look at the books more than I like to read them!

I have other strange quirks when it comes to books - like, I really don't like to borrow books because then it can't stay on my bookshelf. Also, I don't like hardcovers and never, ever would pay full hardcover price...I might possibly buy one if it was a great bargain. Trade size paperbacks are my weakness and very often I buy books for their cover and not necessarily the content.

I used to work a few hours a week in a bookstore and loved it, not to mention the discount. It was the hardest job to quit, but I had to because it just didn't jive with my full time job schedule.

1:07 am  
Blogger CanaGal said...

I too, am a book worm. I usually have 3 books on the go at one time. I love older writers - like Norah Lofts, and Mary Stewart (when I need a bit of a romantic fix!) I am also a HUGE Jane Austen fan . . . I love re-reading my favourite parts of my favourite stories. As such, I have to buy my books and not borrow them. It was a sad day when Lisa no longer worked at the book store - to have to now pay full price for a book!
About shoes: my shoe fetish is the other way around: I need bike shoes, hiking shoes, snow shoes, mountain climbing shoes, alpine boots . . . a good set of sneakers! I have one pair of sensible dress shoes for work, and that is it, BABY! My feet are gynormous! Size 10.5 in North American lingo.

10:56 pm  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

Pingcat, Quodlibet and Canagal: Books are never a waste of money. Those are probably the only things that never go out and fashion and can be passed down generations.

Coffeebigplz: Someday I'd really want to watch/listen to you play. Maybe you can put up a webcast?

LP: I reckon it's because women are more left-brained and men, more right-brained?

So let us all respect each other's differences (and indulge each other, too).

As for men are from mars, hmm it's old news ;P

11:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
» » »

9:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home