Amelia Earhart

Saturday, June 03, 2006

A moment of elation...

When I asked people if they are happy, most of them had given me a puzzled look and had said something like "I guess I'm happy" and "There's nothing to complain about". Or they had gone on to say, I would be happy if I've this or that.

It's curious how some people think they will find happiness in the distant future and not the here and now. Perhaps it's human nature to be never truly satisfied and perhaps it's an acquired behaviour to be happy.

Earlier in the week, I had a moment of elation. It was on a cooling, quiet afternoon, when the children were sleeping soundly lulled by the pitter patter of the rain outside the window. And then I realised, yes this is where I want to be, should be, this moment, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, or do anything else, except to watch the peacefully asleep children and listen to the soothing sound of the rain.

It was as simple as that.

It's not that I wasn't happy before that. I was, I am, and I know I will be. I'm one of those people, who find it difficult to feel down for more than a few days, no matter how tough the going is. Perhaps it's also because I'm an optimist. I don't know if I were born one, but what I do know is that I constantly remind myself to pause and appreciate things around me every now and then, those little things that make me a happy soul. I think it's important to do that. Sadly, many people fail to see that.

Now I'm going to start gushing about all the children I've been working with for five good days. Each and every child has his or her own character, which is perhaps why I found it a cinch to remember their names by the second day and surprised some of the teachers at the childcare centre I'm attached to.

My favourite girl is A. She's two months shy of two years old. She's an easygoing girl and God, how I wish I had a child like that. Initially, you would think she's a quiet child, but she's actually a keen observer. She pays attention during story time and music & movement, but never participates or do the actions. But when you get a conversation going with her, you'd be amazed at how much she has actually retained. So far, she's the only child, who knows and refers to me by my name.

Some of her droolworthy moments: during meal times, when she's tucking in to a bowl of noodles, she would declare "It's hot" and point her spoon at me to blow and cool it down. After which, she would declare, "It's not hot anymore". Mind you, she said it perfect sentences. After her meal, she would declare, "Yummy, yummy, my tummy". Gosh, isn't she such a doll!

Then there's G, who's equally adorable. He's like a bundle of energy and there's no keeping him down. He never does what he's supposed to. In fact, he does exactly the opposite. During lesson or meal times, he would be running around the room. We try as much as possible to get him to pick up some social skills, which requires him to sit down and take part in the lessons along with his other classmates. He has been a handful, and sometimes, he would throw tantrums by whining or lying on the floor. But he's actually very smart and understands instructions, like put your toys or water bottle away.

It takes a lot of physical energy to work with children. When I came home one day, my mum said, "Your shoulders are slouching but your face is beaming." That pretty much sums up my experience. It has been mentally and emotionally rewarding. I haven't felt an ounce of stress in the past week and there wasn't a single time when my patience needed to be "tested", even though some of the children had thrown diva-esque tantrums or tried to poke their little fingers into nooks and crannies.

That's because, I recognise that children are learning about the world and are developing their social, intellectual, emotional and physical skills.

If you ever see a parent get exasperated over his or her child, do let him or her know this. After all, we must remind ourselves we were all children once.

PS: List five things that make you happy.

3 Comments:

Blogger pingcat said...

In no particular order:
Having the puddy cats
Flying recreationally
Living in a country like Canada
Having the good friends that I do
Having a small, but totally wonderful family

7:38 am  
Blogger Cue said...

I think you're on to something here. Happiness really does boil down to a state of mind, and has little to do with tangible things. It's being present in the here and now, and being content with where ever that may be, that smacks of "happiness" for me. Well said.

9:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »

9:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home