Amelia Earhart

Saturday, May 06, 2006

The state of politics...


Now, I normally skirt around the issues of politics and religion. They are sensitive and I'm not keen on ruffling feathers.

I know as much about them as the next-door kid, who hears things. My general opinion on politics is: you can get your hands dirty, and religion: it keeps you clean.

But as this is the first time I'm eligible to vote, but won't get the chance to slip that piece of paper into the polling box today (will explain later), I thought I might say a thing or two about the state of politics in Singapore.

First things first, the Singapore governing party is somewhat like a monarchy. It's ruled by the Lee family. Lee senior is ex-Prime Minister and currently presides over the state affairs as Minister Mentor (yes, that's actually an official title). Lee junior is the current Prime Minister (somewhat like the Bush family, eh). One thing I notice the Lees share in common is: they don't need a script to give a speech.

But the one man, who truly captured the heart of politics in Singapore, is James Gomez, a member of an opposition party. He claimed he had submitted his form to contest in the elections, but as it turned out, a CCTV footage showed him putting the form into his briefcase before exiting the Elections Department.

This is the sorry state of politics in Singapore. We have a crappy opposition. Which is why I don't even get to execute my right to vote. The outcome of the elections in my residential estate is a Walkover, meaning there's no oppostion contesting for us.

Now, I can tell you for a fact that many Singaporeans have a nonchalant attitude towards local politics. Not because we are a simple-minded bunch. But because we're not facing any great threats from the ruling party. At this point, I've to acknowledge that the Lees and their lackeys have done a pretty good job in turning a tiny nation into one of the most efficient cities in the world.

When I took a cab the other day, the driver told me to vote for the opposition - just to "shake things up". I don't advocate admitting crappy people into the parliament but I've to admit I, too, like things to be shaken up.

But before that can happen, we need a credible opposition. So, my friend posed me this question: "Why don't you join the opposition then?"

I shall skirt around the issue.

PS: But you don't have to skirt around the issue. Go on, unleash your thoughts.

4 Comments:

Blogger pingcat said...

Amelia, how did the Lees become so powerful?

6:40 am  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

Lee senior is one of the founding fathers of modern Singapore.

In 1965, Singapore separated from next-door neighbour Malaysia and became independent - due to irreconcilable differences between the two parties - Lee and the Malaysian government.

(Singapore was ruled by different masters from circa 1700 to 1965 in this order: Malaysia-Britain-Japanese-Malaysia)

Since then, Lee built Singapore from a mere trading post to a First World country.

His son became involved in politics and other children also became powerful figures in the commercial industry.

Hope that answers your question :)

3:37 pm  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

There's a Chinese saying that goes something like this, the first generation earns the money, the second generation builds up the wealth and the third generation squanders it away.

The third generation is here and now - people such as myself. I refer to this proverb because it illustrates we've arrived financially and now have more time for other things - like having a better government.

I'm very sure that in time to come, younger blood will join the opposition. They'll have to be prepared to go against Goliath (but David did win, didn't he).

LP, this might be of interest to you:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/
stories/singaporelocalnews/
view/202867/1/.html

3:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
Mower seat cover Lexus is300 diecast model lexus auto parts Laser tattoo removal ruston boat insurance Free hot blonde nude pic Car monitor navigation video Holdem rule texas tip Lexus pictures Best software inc accounting discount code Magic herb diet pill The tent rental company Cheap calls to guam

9:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home