Amelia Earhart

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Da Vinci Code



I read the novel by Dan Brown last year, on a plane to and from Sydney. Needless to say, it was a riveting page-turner.

Earlier today, I watched the celluloid adapation starring Tom Hanks, Ian McKellan and Audrey Tatou. There's only so much info a film can squeeze in, so I would have to say I enjoyed the paperback version much more (plus the couple behind me didn't know how to keep their mouth shut).

It's hard to separate Da Vinci Code from religion (a topic, if you recall, which I normally prefer to hold my tongue on).

From the Christian and Islamic perspectives, Jesus never married. He was miraculously brought into this world by Mary, who's a Virgin. In the Final days, Jesus, who has been sheltered by God since Cruxificion, will be sent down to earth to fight off the Devil and bring salvation to mankind. Uncanny isn't it, the similarites between the two oldest religions the world has ever known.

But I don't want to speculate who's probably right and who might have got it wrong. I prefer to cogitate on the thing that matters - faith (and perhaps spirituality).

There's a Creator for everything. That chair you're sitting on, that phone you pick up to speak to somebody thousands of miles away. The world was created by the Big Bang - which was created by a Creator.

At least that's what I believe.

If God has so much love, why then does He allow so much sufferings? Now that's a question I'll get answered when I meet my Maker.

Before that day comes, I prefer to keep a peace of mind and not get into a mental knot.

May you sleep in peace, too.

11 Comments:

Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

Check this out http://todolistblog.blogspot.com/

2:25 am  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

I also read this book when it first came out. I thought it was a great story, but it is important to remember that it is found in the FICTION section of the bookstore for a reason - because it is fiction! I also enjoyed Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. In fact, I liked it better than the Da Vinci code.

3:08 am  
Blogger pingcat said...

Have not read it, really have no desire to read it. You have a point quodilbet. Funny, no one ever thinks that the Tolkien tales really happened, just entertainment and best taken in the vein offered, I'd suggest.

12:08 pm  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

I second that, LP!

4:04 pm  
Blogger CanaGal said...

the book was a great read. I am never too fond of movie adaptations, but I am sure we will pay full price to see this in the theatre. There was, to me, only one point in the book that I lingered upon (and had forgotten) and that was the Nicene Council. I am also searching spiritually for answers, but, I (like you, Amelia) try to keep my opinions of things quiet, for they are personal topics best left out of the blogsphere.

11:26 am  
Blogger pingcat said...

Another good point CanaGal. While I don't want to sound like a tub thumper here, "The Purpose Driven Life" has some interesting concepts. Of course I WAS CRUSHED when I was informed that it ISN'T all about ME!:-)

12:14 am  
Blogger CanaGal said...

who wrote the book, ping?

4:03 am  
Blogger pingcat said...

Rick Warren, I think. This is a book that I tossed to the side a couple of years ago. There are some parts that I've struggled with philosophically and theologically but it is challenging me, too.

11:50 am  
Blogger CanaGal said...

I have been reading (and re-reading) "Pagan Christ". I am still struggling with the other's opinion that X may never have existed. I must read other author's on both sides of the coin so I can struggle with that one mentally.

11:58 am  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

Coffee...what have you learnt from it?

3:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »

1:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home