Amelia Earhart

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A good conversation

I like a good conversation. In a quiet setting over a cup of tea.

I'm disinclined to shout at the top of my lungs in non-conducive places like the pubs, clubs and some parties. So, I may seem "boring" to someone who meets me for the first time. But because first impression counts, people form certain judgement about you.

And I'm disinclined to sound clever on subjects I don't know very much about (like politics and religion). But I've observed some people talk as if they know a lot (but based on their answers, I can tell they know next to nothing).

But I'm open to non-judgmental discussion and picking the brains of others (that's how you learn, right?). And it's best carried out in a quiet, relaxing atmosphere, yes?

Last Saturday night, I spent a good five hours chatting to a married friend at her home. A few times her kids came down the stairs, announcing "Mummy, it's movie night". (I did try to make a move a few times, but somehow another topic of conversation came up - and I enjoyed it immensely, so did she, I reckon).

This gorgeous lady is my schoolmate, who's a housewife, 10 years older (but doesn't look like it) and has neither the same academic qualifications nor the same lifestyle as I. In short, she's the complete opposite of me. But we connected - as women.

Her family has always seemed to be a picture of a happy one. But she made me realise that's not true - perhaps we see it that way because we just wish things are that way. It gives us hope.

She let her guard down. And I'm very thankful for that. Because the feeling of sincere closeness is something...money can't buy.

She told me how she found out her hubby had an affair and how they worked through it. I must admit I was disappointed to hear about the affair at first. In addition to all the extra-marital affairs happening around me (I, for one, was a gullible "victim" once), it made me feel many people no longer treat marriage as sacred.

I cried. I don't know how it happened but I did.

Despite her grief, she understood her hubby and forgave him. She said something that struck me: Men may seem strong and dependable outside, but inside, they are vulnerable and need approval of their masculinity. Women, on the other hand, appear weak and dependent but we're actually made of sterner stuffs. Sometimes, we have to make them feel like a hero. If not, they may run to another woman, who can make them feel that way.

It made me review what I seek in a man. I've always wanted a man to be my partner, you know the whole equal status thing, where I don't have to play "games". But I view things differently now.

It's not a matter of equal status. It's about understanding what a man is made up of, and what makes him tick. If it makes him feel good to fix things for us, why not? After all, we expect our men to tell us we're the most beautiful woman in the world, even though we're bloated and have break-outs at that time of the month.

I think sometimes we forget to make our other half feel good, because we've got too "comfortable". The reason the courtship period seems more sweet is because we, more often than not, try to impress and make each other feel good. So, why not continue doing it after marriage, which is much more sacred than bgr (boyfriend-girlfriend relationship)?

I promise to treat my next man better. If he tells me "how shall I compare thee to a summer's day, thou art more lovely and more temperate...", of course.

Will you promise, too?

6 Comments:

Blogger CanaGal said...

thanks for adding me to your links. I still have not updated mine. *sob*

3:24 am  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

I know I risked sounding sympathetic towards an adulterer.

But it'd be so easy lashing out at such a person, when there's obviously so much more than that.

People make mistakes and the biggest mistake to make in a marriage is infidelity.

I agree she has shown great courage in forgiving him. I don't know if I would be able to, if I were in her shoes. I think not.

But she said, after all that has been said and done, I still love him. Maybe that was what brought tears to my eye.

I hope there will truly be a happy ending for them. But I pray I never have to be in her shoes.

I suppose, in a way, I'd be more sensitive towards my future half as a "preventive" measure. That way, if he ever screws around, I'd know it's not because I didn't do enough. He's just an asshole.

12:25 am  
Blogger pingcat said...

Personally, I’ve noticed that I try to keep my blogging comments, low key, somewhat frivolous and superficial - designed to be neither argumentative, critical, nor provocative – I am depart from that stance somewhat in this response. Adultery is a serious, serious violation of the “marital contract” but I am not convinced it is “the biggest mistake” to make in a relationship. In fact, calling it a “mistake” I think is a “mistake” – it sort of implies a “whoops! couldn’t help it” mentality. Like blogr_vrgn, I am less inclined to accept biology as an excuse for bad behaviour. Some relationships can truly be strengthened by working through such a calamitous event others … well … such behaviour can be the “tip of the iceberg of a greater malady in the relationship.

5:02 am  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

True, it's much much much worse than a mistake.

5:33 pm  
Blogger CanaGal said...

I never argue with pingcat on the terms of adultery. I usually am in the background screaming "hear! hear!"

10:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Bingo cruise vacations Bellagio jobs http://www.vitaline-vitamins.info forex broker History of the game of baseball http://www.webhosting-6.info http://www.buspirone.info vegas style baccarat Best air fare search Effexor abd alcohol Cisco 6500 supervisor depakote http://www.bulk-email-4.info Cellulite treatment removal Free shemale clipsfree transexuals with big cocks

1:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home