Amelia Earhart

Saturday, June 24, 2006

The L word

My ex called me up the other day, confessing he has been thinking about me, what we have been through and all that jazz.

I thought I would feel something, you know, the welling up of emotions. I mean this is a long time coming and it's, well, good to know that you're being thought of fondly.

But I'm surprised I feel nothing. I don't know if this nothingness is a numbness or jadedness. The fact is, I don't feel anything.

I know for sure I'm not a cold-hearted person. Does this then mean I was never in love in the first place?

But you know, I did feel something for this man, which I had associated with love. Perhaps after all the things that have transposed between us, I felt betrayed - and good riddance.

But if you truly love someone, aren't you supposed to love him no matter what?

In restrospect, I realise I was perhaps in love with the notion of being in love. Our courtship was swift and the next thing we knew, we were talking about spending the rest of our lives together. But six months into the courtship, a voice within told me he was not the sort of man I originally set out to be in love with. Yet, I stuck it out for another year, which is partly due to my doggedness in 'working things out'.

Some people have hinted I'm choosy. But I just can't bring myself to settle down with someone for the sake of it. A relationship is supposed to enhance your life, not diminish it. If the latter's the case, well then I think I'm better off alone, thank you very much.

My ideal soulmate is a man, who displays lots of empathy towards me (not to be confused with sympathy). If he empathises with me, he'll take good care of my heart. I imagine us growing old and happy, knowing that even when I'm shrivelled at 60 and a sweet, exciting young thing comes his way, he'll say, "I'm sorry but my heart's already taken".

Does this sound too much like a grandeur idea of romance?

I need to be rescued.

8 Comments:

Blogger Quodlibet said...

I completely agree with you. One should never settle because if you feel uncertain then it is your gut telling you that this person is not the one for you. I, too have yet to find the right one for me, but I believe he is there (somewhere) and I'd rather be single and happy than married and unhappy.

5:30 am  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

Way to go, Lisa!

2:57 pm  
Blogger Cue said...

Absolutely -- go with your intuition/instinct. And you know, not loving him now doesn't mean you never did. Relationships do change over time, after all. Perhaps this is just an indicator that you were right after all -- you loved him, but he is not the one for you.

10:26 pm  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

I suppose it's "have loved and lost"...

12:15 am  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Always follow your intincts or your gut. Not your mind, not your heart. At least that is what I do and it hasn't failed me. And I've always thought being choosy was a good thing...

2:01 am  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

Thank you, Issy, for the affirmation!

5:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Washer base wing nuts Poway nissan

11:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Cellulite laser Car top rack http://www.bbw-7.info/Mexicanas-lesbianas.html adipex adipex prescriptions Furnace house humidifier how much do implantable contact lenses cost

9:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home