Amelia Earhart

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Daredevil streak



Inspired by Pingcat and Coffeebigplz comments, I thought I'd list some of the daring things I've done in my 25 years. They aren't your Fear Factor feats but I think they require some chutzpah anyway.

In no order of merit:

1) Never give up dancing: During my fourth birthday party, I danced like a crazy horse, thanks to my dad who put me up to it. The aunts and uncles laughed so hard, I bawled like a baby. But I emerged from the episode as a dancer, who can rival the Crazy Horse cabaret girls.

2) Become a school prefect: Determined not to get bullied by others, I volunteered to become a prefect during primary three (third grade). I was also in the Top 10 every year and engineered my career from then onwards.

3) Revamp a society: Sick of other uniformed groups making fun of us Girl Guides, I standardised the look of our uniform (shirt tucked in slick, skirt above the knees, socks pulled up (literally), and shiny boots - to borrow Vidal Sassoon catchphrase: if they don't look good, I don't look good), and trained my girls in marching during the holidays. After the contingent marching at Speech Day Parade, one senior came up to me and said, "Good job". Till today, my girls, when they spot me on the street, refer to me as M'am (haha what an ego trip).

4) Save education: Because of too much partying and skipping classes, I was nearly kicked out of my diploma course in a public tertiary institution. I spun a sob story (genetic insomnia) and begged my lecturers to give me another chance. I made it to my graduation.

5) Start early independence: at 14, a McDonald's crew member. At 15, a HSBC bank clerk and a costume jewellery sales promoter. At 16, a restaurant host and an English and Maths tutor. At 17, a quality control factory worker, toiling the graveyard shift. At 18, a shopping centre announcer. At 19, a quality surveyor for a Mercedes distributor and a freelance writer. At 20, landed in the biggest publishing company in Singapore at my first real job interview.

6) Going on secret dates: Dated, though not proud of it, my physical ed teacher (no jokes, please :), a chief financial executive officer, my ex-schoolmate's ex-bf and a married man on the brink of divorce. It was painful but I walked away because it was the right thing to do.

7) Trip to Netherlands: Took something I wasn't supposed to and in my daze, stepped into the wrong bedroom, where my married friends were in action. Apologised profusely and treated them to a nice Mexican dinner the next day.

8) Trip to Los Angeles: First work-cum-leisure trip on my own. In between doing the Pretty Woman strut down Rodeo Drive, having fun on Santa Monica Boulevard feeling like Sheryl Crow, and getting in touch with inner child at Universal Studios, among other things - I managed to fend off the wolves (boy were there plenty) and returned in one piece, much to my mum's relief.

9) Trip to Thailand: Went parasailing, crashed into the waters because I couldn't reach the lever and dying to do it all over again, went to the ping pong (among other objects) show and smiled graciously through my dating friends' incessant bickerings.

10) Buy a big-ticket item: Signed on the dotted line for a $250,000 apartment I currently share with my parents and younger brother.

11) Make a career move: Against everyone's wishes and consent, I put in for a job transfer for less moolah but more time, then took up a degree course unrelated to my industry and never been happier.

PS: Share with me three instances of your daredevil streak

4 Comments:

Blogger pingcat said...

An impressive list!

The three things that come to mind for me as "daring" are:
- took flying lessons in my 50's
- went into private practice after years of working for the government
- went to universty as a "mature adult" and on to grad. school

Just as an aside you mentioned Girl Guides ... my sister, the one I tried to poison - was a Girl Guide Commissioner for our area. One of her "daring" things was to take a dozen little Brownies to Mexico for a short trip and returned with the same twelve in tow!

3:56 am  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

Thank you, Pingcat. Were you ever a Girl Guide?

I think both you and Coffeebigplz have done some pretty daring things, too.

I see that both of you are not afraid to challenge yourself (flying and getting degree).

Plus the fact that both of you like speeding on the road.

Coffeebigplz, hope all's well in, uhm, gastro land.

And what are you doing with a Finn?

12:30 am  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

Nice Work Amelia!

Here is my sample of three:

1. went bungee jumping once
2. won a scholarship to complete grade 12 in Australia - so moved there by myself when I was 17 for six months and lived with a family (a crazy one - but that's another story)!
3. Was a flight instructor for 3.5 years - that can definitely be an adventure at times!

12:49 am  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

Wow, Quodlibet and Blog Virgin, you guys bungee-jumped - something which I don't think I'll ever do, because I don't like the feeling of plunging to death.

But I'm quite open to the idea of skydiving, actually. I'll do that at least once in a lifetime!

And Quodlibet, your Australian experience, and Virgin, your soon-to-be Japan experience - reminds me that I've never stayed outside Singapore for more than one month! Now, more than ever, I'm determined to work overseas!

12:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home