Amelia Earhart

Friday, July 07, 2006

Colour


If you've caught any of the World Cup matches, you would have seen the footballers pledging their support against racism. How apt. That's one thing I love about sports. It unites people of all colours.

Here in Singapore, we're trying to unite people through sports. I'm totally for this idea. We have "racial harmony", more so than other countries. But this is something not to be taken for granted (we had racial wars forty, fifty years ago). It's a worthwhile cause that should continue to be championed.

Now I don't want to sound like an activist or something. People here have been jailed over leaving racist remarks on their blogs.

Earlier I watched Crash (damn good movie), which deals with this very sensitive subject. The gist is people walk a fine line between good and evil everyday in their lives.

Issues like these make me reflect on myself. Have I ever had racist thoughts? I'd be only lying to myself if I denied it. Do I feel bad about it? 100 per cent. Which is why I keep reminding myself that people are just people. There are good people and bad people. And their colour has NOTHING to do with it.

I encourage everyone to embrace friends from all races. Let's show there's humanity left in this world.

2 Comments:

Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

I agree... there are good & bad people with all different colors of skin. Who we chose to be friends with should reflect our values.

11:51 pm  
Blogger The Experience said...

Here here.

6:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home