Amelia Earhart

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

How To Be Good

How to be good

Just a few minutes ago I concluded the last page of the titular book by Nick Hornby – which I got for a steal at a book sale (never mind its brown stained condition). I suspect it had been my subconscious mind at work that led me to pick up the novel. It was a good read anyway.

I like to ask people if humans are born good or bad, and I’ve got mostly extreme views so far. But I don’t think humans are inherently good or bad. We’re both and that’s why we’re constantly battling to have good triumph over bad.

It’s the time of the year when many people take the time to reflect and introspect, and my one and only New Year Resolution is to make life more meaningful for (in this order): myself, my family and my friends. I don’t believe in saving the world; I believe in saving those who are dearest and closest to us (first). Just imagine, if everyone does that, wouldn’t that already make the world a better place to live in?

I want to do things that I enjoy; things that nourish my soul. So I had gone out to sign up for (in no order of merit) 1) a language class (starting with Italian), 2) a music class (violin; a childhood dream of mine), 3) continue my dance class (salsa, still) and 4) a reading programme for underprivileged children. I’m not ashamed to confess that I’m doing all these for me, me, me, because they will give me satisfaction and make me happy, yes, happy – not happier (there’s no such thing), just happy. These things are not bad; therefore I’m learning How To Be Good.

Things with my family are generally fine – of course, there could always be improvements. But I would hesitate to meddle in their affairs (like my brother’s volatile relationship with his girlfriend). You know about good intentions going awry? I would instead lend my support in small, little ways to let them know they are being valued and appreciated in a place they call home (like getting my brother’s army graduation photo framed up). As for my friends, the least I could do is to be there for them whenever they need my help (which also means having to reshuffle priorities at times). The reason many people fail to keep up with their list of New Year Resolutions is that they think they can accelerate from zero to 100. Bad idea.

The final thing I want to do differently this year is my relationship (or lack of). If it comes, it comes, and I’m going to quit whining about it.

So, there, all set and raring to go!

PS: Hurrah, I managed to post!

5 Comments:

Blogger pingcat said...

Excellent post. Let me be one of the first to wish you and yours all the best in the New Year and WELCOME BACK TO BLOGVILLE, the world wide village!

12:48 am  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Yes, Welcome BACK!!

And Happy New Year!!

1:38 am  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

And from me too, welcome back and I think you have the right idea when you say that if we all did what we could to help who we could in our own world then indeed the entire world would be a better place. Nice post!

7:25 am  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

I think most people start off being good or at least in the middle. By the time they become adults, they have established their tendencies for good or bad. I believe most people try to be good & slip sometimes, but there are people who are willing to do anything to get what they want.

It is a great idea to sign up for classes.

11:58 pm  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

Sigh. Can't create a post again...

2:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home