Amelia Earhart

Sunday, November 19, 2006

On my own


I have been home alone for nearly five days. My parents are away on a holiday in Thailand. And my brother is away on National Service (army).

The loneliness has begun to creep in, and I'm laughing at myself, because I've been entertaining the idea of moving out for some time now.

I've always taken pride in myself for being able to do solitary activities, like reading, swimming, walking, shopping, etc. But now it hasn't even been a week since I've been on my own and I'm already getting cold feet? How ironic.

I suppose you'll always need some time to adjust to a new arrangement. I suppose you need a good bunch of friends to keep you company. I could certainly do with more friends. But real good friends are hard to come by.

It's times like these when I think I need a boyfriend. And I am this close to making a phonecall to a certain someone. It irks me.

I know this may seem a little odd to some of you that I'm nearly 26 and still living under the same roof as my folks. But there's a perfectly reasonable explanation behind this: it's the Asian culture, in case you aren't aware.

To the experienced: how do you get used to living alone?

18 Comments:

Blogger Lois Lane said...

I don't think you can ever get used to living alone. Especially after living with parents and siblings for so long.
I'd rather have roomates to talk to on days like this...

5:14 am  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

I don't think you can ever get used to living alone. Especially after living with parents and siblings for so long.
I'd rather have roomates to talk to on days like this...

5:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it count that I live with two cats? I enjoy my solitude and at the same time my interdependence with others. My philosophy is something like ... unless you can "be" for yourself, you cannot possibly "be" for someone else. Never, NEVER look for someone to fill the emptiness within. Like everything else, I suppose one gets better with practice.

6:38 am  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

Thank you, Pingcat, for the insightful comments. You're absolutely right!

10:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved living alone. I found that I did more 'me' things, like reading, journaling, and so on. I guess you never have to consider that someone will come home so are free to do as you like. As for being lonely - I would just invite someone over for coffee. I sometimes miss that freedom now.

3:40 pm  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

I also liked living alone. It wasn't ever bad during the week. I worked long hours & enjoyed having my personal space. (an American thing) When I got lonely, I went out & did something or invited someone over. You don't always have to be close friends to enjoy spending time together.

12:14 am  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

Gosh I've migrated to google and it's taking forever to load my dashboard. At this rate, I won't be able to make any posts. Somebody help!

1:41 am  
Blogger pingcat said...

Gosh Amelia, I don't know what to say. I went to beta blogger and there didn't seem to be a problem. Maybe "coffee" can help?

12:03 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

There are days I WISH I lived alone!

10:27 pm  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

I'm wondering if you got your blog figured out since it has been a while since you posted??? Hope all is well

4:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TAG! (see my blog)

Where are ya these days? Switched to BETA?

This is Issy by the way

9:31 am  
Blogger pingcat said...

Amelia, are you ever coming back or has the mysterious stranger scooped you up and transported you to a land far, far away with no computers?!?

2:21 am  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

Ok, it's been a month....where are you?????

1:35 pm  
Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

Gosh, ladies I'm so sorry. I still can't access my site.

Give me a week. Coffee's trying to help me. If it doesn't work out, well I'll just have to set up a new blog!

Bear with me. XOXO.

11:22 pm  
Blogger mariloly said...

i don't think you get used to living alone...until you've moved back into a roommate situation and then they leave out of town for the weekend, and you find yourself *loving* the liberty of having the place to yourself :)

5:28 am  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

Merry Christmas Amelia! I hope you get your blog going again soon!

4:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROCK ON ! I so look up to you !

3:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm doing a school project on you

3:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home