Amelia Earhart

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Counting calories


The other day, I was reading a report on Eat According To Your Blood Type Diet. Being O-blooded, I was told I could eat as much meat and as little grains as possible. Supposedly, my ancestors were the hunters. So, my body is made to take in a generous portion of meat.

That's all and well. But it's very difficult to start counting grains because rice is so much a part of the Asian diet. When I come home for dinner and restrict the serving of rice on my plate, my mum would give a long pout and pull a guilt trip on how she had toiled over the stove and no-one appreciates it!

I wish, I told her, I wish I can declare like a supermodel that I can eat anything I want and still look svelte (although I'm disinclined to believe that, as I've worked with models and observed they eat morsels).

I love food. It's hard not to when you live in a food paradise like Singapore. Our local food is oh-so-delicious as much as it's oh-so-fattening. That bowl of fish soup seems healthy, but look closer and you'll see something swimming in it. Oh, it's just pure unadulterated oil!

I think the reason waistlines are expanding globally (and it's not because we have chosen casual clothes over constricting corsets) is that people are spoilt for choices (I'm, of course, speaking for first world countries). Why have a plain sandwich when you can have roast beef sandwich packed with melted cheese, mushrooms and what not?

So, here I am, trying to get a healthier lifestyle going. On Monday, I trekked through the Machritchie rainforest for nearly two hours, covering at least a 10km stretch. After all that sweat, I felt good about myself and skipped away to a social dinner appointment with a friend. At the restaurant, I gave a once-over the menu and caught an Indonesian deep-fried tofu and egg dish topped with sweet soy sauce (yummy!). Hmm, if I order that, I'll be back at square one. My eyes searched for a healthier alternative and found Thai papaya salad.

Tough choice. What did I eventually pick off the menu? No prizes for guessing. Machritchie, here I come!

PS: Totally unrelated. Pingcat, from your previous comment: the book nearest to me had less than 123 pages!

3 Comments:

Blogger pingcat said...

Yeah, I sure can sympathize with you regarding a healthy life style food-wise. The nephew tells me Singapore is a veritable paradise of taste and so on. I'm a big meat eater and guess what? You can gain weight on meat, especially if there cut is veined with fat, after all, it IS the fat that is the vehicle carrying the taste. Is there no escape?

Lately I've been eating Viet. soup and so on hoping that will help.

Hey if the book didn't have 123 pages in it, go to your book shelf, top row, firt book with 123 pages. There, now you can do it.

12:38 am  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

I wish for a day to come when the surgeon general announces that the true key to a healthy, long life is to eat a pound of chocolate, smoke a pack of cigarettes and drink Tim Hortons coffee every day!!! I, too love to eat and I am genetically predisposed to gaining weight at the mere sight of something yummy.

11:10 am  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

To make myself feel better for all the "Well, one little piece of cake won't hurt..." s ...I always tell myself everything is good in moderation.

And you *MUST* reward yourself for a 10K walk! Damn girl! You NEED the meat after a walk like that.

5:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home