Amelia Earhart

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Double lives


Earlier in the day, I interviewed two mums, who got sick. One battled with breast cancer last year, at the age of 29, and the other battled with life-threatening ectopic pregnancy (where the embryo is lodged in a fallopian tube) at the age of 38.


It was my idea: to find out how ailing mums cope with their family life. I got hold of the two newsmakers through routine check with people on my contact list.


It's a tricky thing, talking to ill-stricken people. On one hand, you've to be sympathetic, which is not a problem because I'm a softie. On the other, you've to be distant, lest you get too emotionally involved.


There are the hard questions, and one of them is: how do you get back to your physical relationship with your husband, especially after you've lost your breast or baby? I am amazed at how coolly these women take up the question.


I know these are going to be great stories. But they are more than just stories to me: they give a sense of renewed strength. Of living, against the odds. It beats celebrity journalism, which I used to do, any day.


After a good day at work, I went clubbing with my gal pals. I danced, drank and even kissed a stranger, which earned me a remark: "You're so wild. How do you go from doing what you do in the day and to doing what you do at night?"


Yes, sometimes I feel like I lead double lives (like the women have felt at a point in their lives).
But you know what, the most important thing is: I'm living.

3 Comments:

Blogger pingcat said...

Ahhhh ...(she sighs)... to have the energy to live a double life ... (doing the one I have takes it all!)

3:27 am  
Blogger pingcat said...

So Amelia ... my "niece the librarian" and her mother, my big sister, are going to me in Singapore in March .... interested in a face2face?

4:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Living a double life is hard but if you can do it,Go on girl.

7:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home