Amelia Earhart

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Seven-year itch


My friend, N, who's 27, has just got divorced from her husband of nearly seven years. Which might prove that the seven-year itch is not just hearsay, after all.

There was no major blow-up in their marriage (even she conceded so). They simply grew apart, that's all.

Now, how in the world did it come to this when everyday, they lived under the same roof. Anyone would be wont to guess that they don't communicate enough, which does hold some truth.

They had often quibbled over the Little Things that eventually snowballed into a Big Thing. Then suddenly, one day they woke up and concluded, oh, this marriage is just not working out, so let's call it quits.

It sounds like a pretty lame excuse for bailing out of a marriage. But this is exactly what's happening everyday, faster than you can say "I do". Marriages are going the way of Hollywood. Once the passion has fizzled, it's time to throw in the towel.

Why was Divorce almost a taboo word forty, fifty years ago? Did people respect the sanctity of marriage more back then? Perhaps. Were women more willing to suffer in silence back then? Perhaps. Did men feel a stronger sense of responsibility over their family? Perhaps.

This is all very phobia-inducing for unmarried women like myself. To have the thought of divorce as a probability and marriage of a lifetime as luck. So, marriage is a gamble, they say.

But I refuse to assume that belief (or else, I'm bound to become a runaway bride many times over). You've got to decide to get married with your eyes wide open. Leave all these happily-ever-after fairytale notion of marriage in fiction land. You've got to remember that you love your partner for his/her good points and accept him/her with warts and all - for the REST of your life. Take commitment not as a lip service but as an oath as if you life depended on it. I guess you just have to find like-minded people like myself.

And stick to it, for goodness sake.

PS: Tell me why you would or would never get married.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cue said...

I think you're right on -- if I ever get married (and, who knows) it has to be the right thing, and it has to be entered into with the goal of lasting a lifetime. Personally, I plan to marry once, or never at all. I haven't met the right person yet, but who knows? Well, a girl can hope, I suppose.

8:43 pm  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

The idea of divorce ruins my whole perspective on marriage. I would only get married to someone who I would trust, who would want and be willing to work through every single problem. No Hollywood business, it isn't real life. I am with cue gal....Marriage to me, is for once in my life or never at all.

12:05 pm  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

I agree with all of you. I've always said that I'd rather be happy single than unhappily married. And when the day comes for me to marry - once I find the right fellow - it will be for life. I suppose, however, that most people enter into marriage with that in mind, but one just has to be so careful and enter into marriage with someone who shares your values.

6:49 pm  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

I agree that marriage is all about communication and working through the hard times, but it seems a lot easier when you are single. I have MANY relatives that have stuck it out in unhappy marriages when they all had VALID reasons for throwing in the towel. Sometimes, you have to be willing to walk away. I hope that never happens to my husband & me. However, if something does go horribly wrong, I hope I am strong enough to.

5:23 am  
Blogger pingcat said...

Tag!
Coffee sayz!
1. Grab the nearest book. Ok got it.
2. Open the book to page 123. You guys are gonna hate me!
3. Find the fifth sentence. still gonna hate me!
4. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.
6. Tag five people.

2:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site...
» »

8:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read bextra 10 mg Handheld barcode reader rentals suzuki gsxr 750 Us personal loan refinancing Mario having sex with princess peach sauna Soccer fitness plan porsche sales Non tricyclic antidepressants Drugged tea to be a sex slave business credit report ionamin Pa rhinoplasty Uconn starter jacket black cock asian ass Term life insurance agencies in london Hockey goalies divorce advice

8:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home