Amelia Earhart

Monday, April 10, 2006

Boobs over brains


Last night, my girlfriend and I gleefully settled down on the couch to watch a telly programme on the search for Singapore's representative to Miss Universe (if you don't know what it is, you must have been living in your own world since the 1950s!)

The Singapore version of the beauty pageant has somewhat become a guffaw- because every year, you're greeted by women, who flaunt their flaws in more ways than one.

I would think you need to be physically outstanding to join a contest primarily based on looks. But we observed there were:

1) Pockmarked faces
2) Improportionate, pear-shaped hips
3) Runway chests
4) Duck walks
5) Forced smiles
6) Broken-necked heads (I've worked with model wannabes and I can tell you they tilted their heads to show off their best profile)

Somebody help yank them out of their delusions!

We're, of course, not dealing with rocket science here. Many of the contestants were inarticulate, kept tripping over their words and couldn't muster a witty answer to save their life.

In case you're wondering, the question posed during the pageant's final round was: Are foreign men better than Singapore men? (It's frivolous but tricky and some wit is certainly needed to tackle it)

The gist of the winner's answer was: Foreign men may be taller, more muscular and better built but I think Singapore men have good values like sensitivity and sincerity (in other words, foreign men are shallow and Singapore men are wimps. Haha!)

Anyway, I think the conclusion of the pageant was: boobs over brains.

The winner (pictured) was all supersized boobs on a stick-thin body. I can't tell whether she had work done because her boobs are kind of droopy (so, they are either au naturel or the result of a botched job). In the earlier parts of the show, I had joked she would bump (pun intended!) all the other competitors out of the way. Little did I expect my prediction would come true!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a feminist - or a chauvinist for that matter. Would I have loved to look glamorous, wear beautiful clothes and be admired? Yes, which woman wouldn't, honestly? But I wouldn't strut my ass in front of a million eyeballs to derive or deprive my self-worth. I would do it only for my man (but that would be, ahem, for a different reason altogether).

Next year, you can bet your last dollar I'll hop on the couch with my best pal in tow and anticipate a good laugh when I turn on the telly and tune into the pageant. Because let's face it, pageantry is for pure entertainment and I'm pretty sure the contestants know it fully well.

I'm not making any apologies for it.

PS: Tell you my thoughts on Singapore men vs foreign men another day.

2 Comments:

Blogger pingcat said...

Too funny, when I opened up your blog I assumed that the picture was of you before I started to read what you had writtern. I sprain more darn ankles jumping to conclusions like that. Thanks for setting us straight

12:39 pm  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

"The first bite is taken with the eye" goes the old saying.

The winner is a sexy-looking woman with a great smile. One hetro guy's opinion.

I believe men, primally are attracted to vulnerability indicators in women. It's a preditory instinct much like hunters chasing down animals in a herd. Historic extreme examples might be the 2 foot tall shoes warn by 17th (?) century Venitian women, or the old practice of binding Chinese girl's feet in devepment so they'll be tiny. Both inhibit movement/ escape and add to a aura of vulnerability. The awkward walk displayed by women wearing highheels goes along these lines.

Intelligent or brave women, like Earhart, are not attractive to a majority of men, in my experience as they are self-reliant and don't appear to 'need a man's help'.

It's sad for me to find that many of the vital, interesting girls I knew in early high school seemed to dumb-down in order to become more appealing to unsophisticated boys.

The pattern extends into adulthood. My goodness, having an interesting conversation with a bright woman is rare in my social experience. Then again, the same can be said of men.

What is 'runway chest'?

1:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home